the Word of God for Today
Throughout the Old Testament, God sent prophets to make known his will in the present. By the prophets, God made his word relevant and fresh for each generation. In the New Testament, prophets are listed among the offices of the Church (1 Cor. 12:28), prophecy is considered a manifestation of the Holy Spirit as he moves in and through the congregation (1 Cor. 12:7, 10), and prophetic utterances are recorded for us in the book of Acts (Acts 11:28; 21:10-11). All these signs of God’s activity proved that the God who is revealed in Jesus is One in the same as the God who spoke by the prophets of old.
But not all that claims to be prophecy is from God. For that reason, we are to “test the spirits to see whether they are of God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world, (1 John 4:1). So God has given us the gift of discernment, which goes hand in hand with the gift of prophecy as a check and balance (1 Cor. 12:10; 14:29).
Guidelines for Prophecy.
Guidelines for the Use of Scripture in Prophecy
So much pills foolishness is taking place in the name of the prophetic that the Church is in danger of being swamped in emotionalism and counterfeit theologies. While legitimate prophecy is being given, discernment between the two seems to be lacking in the people of God. While not intended to cover all the errors and dangers, one aspect of prophetic accountability is addressed: the proper use of scripture.
Overview of dangers in prophetic movement Legitimate uses of scripture in prophecy (contrary examples given):
- when it itself is actually speaking of the future
- as typological and analogical
- Discerning spirits.
- The character of OT prophecy
- End Time Theology and Thoughts
Current prophecies – words to be judged.
- Hillary Wins the Election in 2008?
- A Word for America – 1992.
- “No Man Will Take Credit For What I Am About to do on the Earth”
- Lady Liberty Has Fallen – 1995.
- A Word for Washington DC -2003
- Will God Again Make a Distinction?
- Jesus’ Prophecy of the Last Generation and the Close of the Gentile Age
- The Lord Has Turned His Heart from the People (US)
- A Financial Tower of Babel – Run To Goshen